到目前为止我做的最有价值的事今年佤邦s marrying a wonderful person. My sister also married, and my sister-in-law is getting married in the spring of next year. In such a sea of marriages, it feels a bit trite to write a year review on my writing hobby, but what’s a hobby good for if not enabling trite behavior?
The other essential bit before I jump into the details is: I’m really grateful to folks who read the stuff I write. I get a lot out of my writing being useful, and always appreciate hearing from folks.
By volume this was my best writing year since 2008, and I think in terms of quality it was my best year thus far. Looking at Google Analytics, folks spent about 8400 hours reading stuff on my site this year (210k pageviews, 2:23 average time on site), which is just below the number of hours in a year (8,760) – that’s kind of a neat metric to think about. Adding in a 50 minute conference talk presented to an audience of 470, and this year folks spent about a year reading or listening to stuff I created.
我敢肯定的是今年的公民币更加努力，但对我来说非常酷。特别是鉴于观众，我一直在为最近的 - 经理，特别是工程经理 - 小于一些。
The most popular pieces on my blog this year were:
- Introduction to architecting systems for scale(25k pageviews) - continues to be my best evergreen post, written first in 2011, although I cleaned it up a bit this year.
- Digg的v4发布：一种乐观的必需品(14k) - driven by strong social media and social news. One of my personal favorite stories, and a different kind of writing than I typically do, although I don’t have too many similarly good stories left that I’m able to tell.
- 关于“软件设计哲学”的说明。(12k) - a great book! Honestly, not a very good blog post, it just somehow got picked up on social news.
- 遗传算法：酷名和该死的简单(11k) - my second best evergreen post, written in 2009.
- 迁移: the sole scalable fix to technical debt(9k) - I think the best piece I wrote this year. Has a strong point of view without being needlessly controversial, and I think has actually been useful to some folks. When I posted it, I didn’t think it was very good.
- 模型，文件和分享(5k) - Shared well on social media, almost entirely thanks to being reshared byJulia Evans我发布后6个月。（有趣的是，这是我后立即写作的作品迁移。）
Of the top ten pages this year: two were written before 2018, seven were written in 2018, and one was a navigation page (specifically “www.klytx.com/"). To avoid overfitting on initial social media virality, it’s interesting to contrast that against the top 25 pages from the last 30 days, which has a different shape: 7 pages from before 2018, 14 from 2018, and 4 navigation pages.
总，写道75 posts this year，这对我至少每月写作的目标是良好的，而且远远超过2017年（16篇帖子），2016年（13篇帖子），2015（1篇），2014（4篇帖子），2013（0帖子），2012年（11个帖子），2011（10篇帖子），2010年（18个职位）。事实上，它只是2009年（51篇帖子），2008年（191个帖子）和2007年（78个帖子），我写了类似数量的东西。
As part of that writing this year, I got the opportunity to write a book on engineering management, which is tentatively coming out in March. I’m careful about getting my expectations up, so I won’t really believe it’s happening until it’s done, but all signs point to this being a real thing.
进入2018年，我所做的唯一公开讲话是履行毕业要求教堂在我的高中谈话a presentation at SF Python in 2013。今年我有机会在QCON说话，做三个播客和一次接受这一帖子。
In more detail:
- 推特- 2,200 up to 3,600. Didn’t get to my goal of 5,000, but I’m ok with that (esp with losing ~500 folks in what I think was a spam follower purge by Twitter).
- LinkedIn- 从可能4,000到7,400个连接。这是花费大量时间的副产品cold sourcing, particularly in the first half of the year.
- 社交新闻- two or three posts made it onto Hackernews and did ok there, and the Digg v4 post got some traffic from Reddit.
I spent a reasonable amount of time learning and investing here, particularly in earlier part of the year, and I think my summary is that this aspect of internet publishing is not particularly energizing for me, and it’s something I’m likely to do less of next year. My plan is to not set any goals of this sort, and focus on learning and creating instead – this is, in the end, a hobby.
2019年/directory for the next post.